Just humor me on this one, people. I'm not the best blogger in the world, but I've learned my fair share of tips and tricks over the past year and a half. Now it's time to share them. Hopefully these pointers will help some of you too.
1. Don't feel like you have to blog every single day. Quality over quantity, guys. You can tell whenever someone put serious thought into a post verses just whipping something together in a few minutes for the sake of posting. I've been guilty of this in the past. But now I know skipping a few days isn't that bad (unless, of course, you get paid to blog).
2. Never, ever, ever start to compare your blog to the blogs of others. One thing I love doing — call me a creeper — is hitting up the archives of some of these bigger blogs. And you know what I've found time and time again? Their content looked like mine. They started at the bottom just like the rest of us. It takes everyone time to get the hang of this junk!
3. Pick a name and stick with it. Okay, alright. So I really shouldn't be talking whenever it comes to this one since I've changed my name
2, 3, 4 flipping times! Haha. I promise I won't be changing this one (though I've been tempted to).
4. Don't feel bummed whenever people don't comment. Most of the time, people are reading what you have to say. They just aren't taking the time to respond. And you know what? That's okay. You aren't always going to have someone there to give you a pat on the back after you post something. Just remember why you started writing in the first place — as a means of self-expression. Once you realize that, the lack of comments won't bother you as much.
5. Don't focus all of your attention on trying to build a vast following. Instead, focus on your content. The rest will come, eventually. If people like what you're dishing out, they'll follow. If not, oh well. This can kind of tie in with point #4. Just remember why you started blogging in the first place. For you, not for the attention and approval of others.
6. Stay true to yourself. Seriously. I cannot stand seeing others try to be something they're not. Find your niche and stick with it (says the girl who doesn't have a niche herself). Don't misunderstand what I'm trying to get at. I'm all for venturing out, believe me. However, if you've tried something and it was a bust, just move on. Don't try to force it.
7. Keep giveaways and link-ups to a minimum. There's nothing more annoying to me than visiting a blog where every other post is a giveaway or a link-up. I mean, c'mon. It makes you look follow-hungry (the giveaways, not so much the link-ups). I enjoy a good link-up here and there, but I'd also like to see some original content too. It's all about balance!
8. Never be afraid to put yourself out there. Personally, this has been the hardest to overcome. I've been too afraid to share certain things or talk about particular topics in the past. I have so many posts saved to my drafts that haven't been shared for fear of judgement. Don't let fear hold you back from saying what you want to say. Just press publish.