If you've known me for a while, you'd know that sometimes I complain about living in Florida. For as long as I can remember, I've wanted nothing more than to move north (preferably Georgia or the Carolinas). But, honestly, it's all talk. When it comes down to it, I don't think I could ever leave my home state. I've been here all my life. Sure, it's nice to visit other states. But to actually leave the sunshine state for good? Nope, I just couldn't do it. And here's why —
1. We live where other people vacation. I still find it amusing whenever people from out-of-state post their "vacation" shots of palm trees, sandy beaches and pretty sunsets. Welcome to my life.
2. The beach is our backyard. Okay, that may be a slight exaggeration. The closest beach is about a good 20-30 minute drive from our house, but still. There are 663 miles of beaches in our state. So, you get the point.
3. The only things that we "salt" are our margaritas. Salting roads? Ain't nobody got time for that. I couldn't imagine having to do half the things y'all have to do once winter rolls around. No snow, no hassle. I'll drink to that!
4. There are Publix supermarkets. If you've never experienced the pleasure of shopping at one, you're missing out. And don't even get me started on their subs! Exhibit A can be found here.
5. Hurricane parties will always trump snow days. You can keep your snow days. I've heard they aren't that fun after all (since the majority of you complain about being stuck indoors). When hurricanes come around, we get down!
6. Flip-flops are acceptable year-round. Yeah. Checkmate. I could probably stop right here on this one ... but I won't.
7. Authentic cafe con leche, empañadas and pressed Cubans. The proximity to Cuba means a lot of tasty food choices and all of that Latin influence makes my taste buds (and tummy) super happy.
8. Manatees live here too. Why wouldn't I want to live in a place where giant marine mammals referred to as sea cows live as well? That's a no-brainier. Swimming with them is always fun (or so I've heard).
9. There's just such a variety of things to do here. From pristine beaches to the murky swamps of the Everglades, Florida has something to offer everyone. I mean, c'mon. We have Orlando, Miami and the Keys. And there are tons of historic places to explore as well. Let's say St. Augustine for instance. It just so happens to be the nation's oldest city.
10. We don't have to pay state income tax. There is really no point in elaborating on this. I'd say it's pretty cut and dry!
And, that's a wrap. As you can see, I've come to my senses. There's no way I'm leaving this place any time soon! The longer I live here, the more I see the beauty that surrounds me day in and day out.